Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In my skin.

Two days after my last post, I lost someone super close to me. My grandmother Lola passed away on September 16, 2009. Because I knew she was going to be with the Father I was at peace. I remember the day as if it were yesterday and sometimes i have to shake the memory from my head. It hurt more to hear my mother mourn and cry than to hear that she was gone...I guess no one really wants to see their parents hurting. You feel like there's nothing you can do and for me being 3100 mils away didn't make this part of my process any easier. You see, i knew it was going to happen and God was preparing me for it. being out here you miss out on a lot. Birthdays, weddings, Births, and now deaths. because of the distance i wasnt able to make the funeral. But I would much rather remember her as I do now.



She was great. The kind of lady that drove you crazy with her old fashion naivete but you love because that's one of the things that made her great. She'd hear a good song and sway with the beat. I can taste her arroz con leche and arbondigas now....I wonder if i can make them like her... We would go for walks to the store as kids duck umbrella in hand. She would wake my cousin up with ice water baths (lol). Her wake -up call was between 5& 6 AM, she thought that if you slept later than that it was a waste of time or you were sick. Chicken nuggets, sprite, vanilla cookies, coffee and Salem cigarettes were a few of her favorite things..Lola may not have had all the money or education, but she never lacked in her love for God and her family.





Lola is always in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment